A Partial History of Gethsemane


Gethsemane Church of God in Christ opened its doors on September 10, 1989 at the Hillcrest Community Center renting for $7.00 an hour.  A typical Sunday morning consisted of unloading the Berry station wagon.  We set up the keyboard for Sister Berry and the portable music for Elder Berry’s pulpit.  Everyone sat on the edge of their chairs and avoided eye contact with Sister Berry for fear they may be called to sing, lead praise and worship or testimony service.  One thing we did learn was to “be ye also ready.”  

 

On May of 1990 we move to 1404 N. Kansas Ave.  The congregation of St. Mark A.M.E. blessed us with our first pews.  We rented the building until December of 1996; when we decided to purchase the building.  In July of 1997 we gained access to the basement which set in motion our first remodeling projects.  Once again, pews were donated to the church.  Pastor James Hull and the Wheatland Life Ministries/Joyful Harvest Church donated 12 pews and later donated four more.  The sanctuary was completely re-carpeted and painted along with the stair case.  Linoleum was laid at front and rear entrances.   Pastor Tom Watson of El Shaddai Church of God in Christ, built an elevated pulpit and decorated the back wall in cedar, including a cedar cross.  The upstairs restroom was removed, and two new ones were built in the basement.  The “monster” furnace was replaced with a central air unit.  Upon completion, the sanctuary was literally turned around and now faces east-west as opposed to its original setup of north-south.  All of these remodeling efforts were accomplished from July to September of 1997.  

 

September 10, 1999 marked the tenth Pastor and Wife anniversary.  On September 1999, Gethsemane was given the building south of the church.  Plans are being made to have the building demolished and paved for the church parking lot.  In December 1999 the landlord gave ownership of the building to Pastor and Sister Berry and forgave the debt of the building! Pastor and Sister Berry have envisioned Gethsemane occupying the entire block on which the church is located.  Nothing is too hard for God for he has blessed us this far and has given us what we have asked for.  We are looking to continue progressing in the work of the Lord.

Gethsemane Worship Center

1-785-354-4678

inquiries@gwctopeka.com

1404 N. Kansas Avenue

Topeka, KS 66608

  • SoundCloud Social Icon
  • YouTube
  • Facebook Social Icon

©2019 by Gethsemane Worship Center, Inc.

GWC_Logo.jpg